The Sand Castle is based on the belief that all individuals can learn and that optimal learning takes place when all staff operationalize the philosophy which is characterized by the following tenets:
- all individuals are treated with respect and dignity;
- all individuals are given the opportunity to learn in many different ways and at varying rates;
- all individuals are given recognition for their achievements;
- all individuals are recognized as both potential learners and potential teachers;
- the learning environment is characterized by interdependence and cultural diversity;
- the learning process includes cognitive, creative and affective dimensions;
- instruction is focused and subdivided into a number of specific, demonstrable competencies.