Obtaining an I-20 and Studying in the U.S.

The experiences, knowledge, and differences represented by international students add diversity to the La Canada Preparatory campus. If you are considering LCP, review the admissions procedure below for international students. If you have questions, contact the Admissions Office.

International students must be issued an F-1 student visa before they arrive as a student in the United States. La Canada Preparatory is approved to issue an I-20. An I-20 allows international students to receive an F-1 visa to legally begin school in the United States. For more information, visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website at www.uscis.gov.

Procedures for Obtaining an I-20    

  •  LCP must receive a completed application before issuing an I-20.
  •  The Non-Refundable Application Fee must be received by LCP.
  •  All of the following required supplemental forms/documents must be received by LCP:
    Guardianship Authorization Form (Notarized)*          
    Affidavit of Support (Notarized)*
    Bank Statement (translated into English)
    Immunization History/Record Form*
    Immunization Records (translated into English)
    Copy of Current Passport
    TOEFL Test Score Results
  • Student must receive an official acceptance from LCP
  • Student must complete and submit the online Enrollment Form
  • Tuition must be paid in full

*Forms are included in the online application form.

Procedures for Obtaining an F-1 Visa    

  •   Read and understand your I-20 and your responsibilities as an international student in the United States.
  •   Once you receive the I-20, you must go online to pay the SEVIS I-901 administrative fee, which must be paid at least three days prior to your embassy visit.  The $100.00 fee can be paid by credit card.  Your payment receipt should be presented at the embassy when you take your I-20 to apply for your student visa.
  •  A copy of the Guardianship Authorization Form (Notarized) must be submitted to the embassy/consulate.
  •  A copy of the Affidavit of Support (Notarized) must be submitted to the embassy/consulate.

Once the Student Has an F-1 Visa (Traveling to the U.S.)   

  •  Email a copy of the F-1 visa and travel dates to LCP.
  •  Keep your passport and I-20/F-1 visa with you at all times.
  •  You will be required to show your passport and I-20/F-1 visa to immigration officials.
  •  Immigration officials may stamp your visa and I-20.

Once the Student Arrives at La Canada Preparatory    

  •  Bring your passport and student visa to present to the Designated School Official (DSO)
  •  The DSO will confirm your legal entry into the United States through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and SEVIS.
  •  The DSO will make copies of all legal documents: I-20, F-1 visa and passport.
  •  LCP recommends that students keep all legal documents in a secure place.

Leaving the U.S. for Holidays or Travel    

  •  When an international student leaves the United States, s/he must notify the Designated School Official (DSO)
  •  The DSO will verify that the student has a continued I-20 and that the I-20 is signed on the third page.